Essential oils…it’s a term that we hear EVERYWHERE these days. The market is inundated with these little brown bottles filled with magical potions to fix all of our problems. With their rise in popularity, unfortunately (just like everything else) comes the negative consequences in the form of adulterated, synthetic products and misuse. It is SO important to do research and make educated decisions.
Essential oils are an amazing form of plant medicine. Humans and animals have been using these to treat virtually every ailment since the beginning of our existence. In addition to their topical uses, oils have been clinically proven to have a profound effect on the Central Nervous System, helping to reduce pain and release muscle tension. They also have many calming, sedating, uplifting, and positive emotion-stimulating properties.
Oil use for animals has so many wonderful health benefits, supporting emotional, behavioral, & physical body systems. You can diffuse oils, apply them topically, or use sprays on collars/halters/bandanas. The possibilities really are endless!
The most important things to consider when using oils with your animals are:
- PURITY of product (make sure you are buying from reputable companies such as this – not TJ MAXX)
- PROPER APPLICATION & DILUTION. Animals are much more sensitive to scent, so only a few drops (mixed with a carrier oil for topical use) are needed for any method
Here are a few oils that are SAFE to use:
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica)
- Clary sage (Salvia sclarea)
- Chamomile (Anthemis nobilis)
- Frankincense (Boswellia carteri)
And a few to STEER CLEAR of:
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca Alternifolia)
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
- Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens)
If you would like to learn more about essential oil use for animals, I offer personalized aromatherapy consults. Visit the SERVICES page to learn more!
You can also check out my line of Reiki-infused aromatherapy products for pets & people here.