The holiday season can be stressful for everyone. However, things like travel, visitors, changes in routine, etc. can be especially overwhelming for your four leggers. The good news is there are many simple things you can do to keep your pet calm & happy amidst the chaos!
- most importantly CREATE A “SAFE SPACE” for your pet if you don’t already have one. This can be a crate or separate room where they can go to decompress & rest uninterrupted. This space should be quiet and free of stress-inducing stimuli. Add some comfy blankets & their favorite toy. You can even incorporate soft lighting and/or relaxing music.
- To build on that last one – USE CALMING AIDS if needed. Diffusing essential oils*, using aromatherapy sprays, and/or adding calming supplements** can help your pet relax more deeply.
- PUZZLE & ENRICHMENT TOYS are also a great addition! These can help your pet stay busy and properly stimulated. Check out my recent post to get some ideas.
- be sure to brush up on TRAINING if necessary. Having clear communication on basic commands such as sit, down, & leave it will make having visitors or traveling go much smoother.
- MONITOR TREATS & SCRAPS. Animal hospitals see Pancreatitis cases absolutely soar during the holidays and each pet’s threshold for novel foods is different. It’s ok to indulge your pet a bit, just make sure it’s in moderation with foods that are safe.
*diffuse only pet safe oils, properly diluted. You can read more here.
** there are some wonderful non-pharmaceutical options out there such as CBD. Please do your due diligence in research and talk to your veterinarian before administering any supplement to your pet.
The Holidays are meant to be enjoyed by all, including our beloved sidekicks! Everyone have a safe & happy Holiday Season!